This hearty, classic Mexican soup gets a big boost of flavor from two dried chili varieties: Ancho chilies, the dried versions of the relatively mild poblano pepper, and guajillos chilies, the dried version of the hotter mirasol pepper.
Ancho chilies are more readily available in most grocery stores, but guajillo chilies can be much harder to find in many areas. Both can be found in many larger grocery stores, in Mexican specialty markets, or ordered online, however.
Although pozole is traditionally made with pork, this flavorful version features boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead. This brothy, flavorful soup is perfect served with classic pozole toppings, including sliced radishes, shredded cabbage or lettuce, diced avocado, red onions, and/or fresh chopped cilantro.
Think of it as a Mexican version of ramen, customizable with different meats and toppings as you wish.
If you’re just starting the keto diet, a food journal specifically for keto like this one can help you to stay on track. Track your meals, macros, mood, fasting times and movement daily to spot helpful and harmful patterns that help you achieve your weight loss and health goals.
Pozole Rojo de Pollo (Red Pozole with Chicken)
This is the Keto Meal Plan that completely changed my life. Check this out if you’re curious about starting the Keto Diet or need some help to succeed.
I love having keto snacks at the ready. Try my favorite keto chocolate bars, bone broth and protein powders here. Use code ONANDOFFKETO for 10% off your order!
- 3 large dried ancho chilies, stems removed and deseeded
- 2-3 dried guajillo chilies, stems removed and deseeded
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1¼ t. ground cumin
- 1 t. dried Mexican oregano
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- ¼ t. ground cinnamon
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 25-oz. can hominy, with liquid
- 3-4 small radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 large lime, cut into 8 wedges
1. Place dried chilies and smashed garlic in a small saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the chilies soften, around 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. While the chilies are simmering, heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, around 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
3. Add ground cumin, Mexican oregano, smoked paprika, and cinnamon. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes, or just until the spices become fragrant.
4. Add chicken and reduce heat to medium. Cook until lightly browned on all sides, around 2-3 minutes per side.
5. Add bay leaves, chicken stock, and hominy. Increase heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a rapid simmer.
6. Once simmering, transfer the ancho and guajillo chilies mixture to a blender or a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour chili mixture into the pot and reduce heat to just below medium. Partially cover with a lid and cook for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours to give the flavors more time to develop.
7. After at least 30 minutes, remove from heat and carefully shred the chicken using two forks while still in the pot. Remove bay leaves and discard.
8. Ladle hot soup into individual serving bowls and top with sliced radishes, fresh cilantro, or other desired toppings. Serve immediately with fresh lime wedges for squeezing. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
White Hominy Two 15.5oz Cans of Bush's Best
Guajillo Chiles Peppers 4 oz Bag, Great For Cooking Mexican Chilli Sauce, Chili Paste, Red Salsa, Tamales, Enchiladas, Mole With Sweet Heat And All Mexican Recipes by Ole Mission
Dried Ancho Chiles Peppers 4.25 oz, Great For Sauce, Chili, Stews, Soups, Mole, Tamales, Salsa and Mexican Recipes By Ole Mission
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 689
Are you ready to start losing weight for good? Get the Complete Guide to the Ketogenic Diet NOW with quick start checklists, recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, grocery lists and all you need to know to start a low-carb lifestyle today. Lose weight and keep it off with this book by your side!
Looking for a guide to sticking to the keto diet? Our Complete Guide to the Ketogenic Diet Book is a complete, all-in-one resource for starting and sticking to the ketogenic diet. This book includes all the need-to-know info about the keto diet plus meal plans, checklists and grocery lists to get you started.
Want the grocery list for free? Get it below.